Friday, March 8, 2013

Language Literacy

I feel that being able to speak another language can benefit one in so many aspects of life. Whether it is being able to communicate with someone, or simply being able to relate to someone, it is so important. I was fortunate to have grown up being spoken to in English and Spanish. In my house, English was always spoken, but in my grandparents' home, we only speak Spanish. My grandparents are from Spain, and so I have been able to experience their culture firsthand. I have always been able to understand Spanish, but gradually I began to be able to speak it as well, once I realized how important it was for me to master it. One of my mother's biggest regrets is that she did not speak to her children in Spanish when we were little. Luckily, my grandmother always did!

Even now, when I call my grandmother, she insists that I speak in Spanish to her. In fact, she pretends not to understand if I speak English! Being bilingual has helped me many times in my life. I strongly believe that one of the main reasons I got hired at my current job is because of my ability to speak Spanish. I feel extremely blessed to have been given the opportunity to learn another language. Although I know many people may not have other languages spoken in their households, I think that it is so important to try to learn another language  if possible. It never ceases to amaze me how many opportunities that it presents!

3 comments:

  1. I am so jealous that you grew up speaking two languages! I have only spoken English my whole life. I have taken Spanish classes so I know some Spanish, but I believe If I had grown up around it I would have retained more from class. I agree with you that knowing another language creates so many opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, being able to speak more than one language is very beneficial, especially with the extremely diversified society that we live in today. Although I do not speak any other language than English, I really wish I did. In fact, I'm really considering taking on another language (most likely Spanish) just so I can better communicate with those who speak Spanish, since it is a common language spoken here in the U.S. and also so that I can teach my children how to speak Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great story showing the positive benefits of growing up in a bilingual setting. If we don't practice a language, too often we forget it. Your grandmother sounds like a very wise woman for encouraging you to speak Spanish.

    ReplyDelete